Irrigation System Winterizations in Calgary, Alberta, & Surrounding Cities
Protect your irrigation system during the frigid winter months with our professional irrigation system winterization services.
Winters in Canada are known for picturesque scenes of mountainous snow and glistening white treetops. As beautiful as the season is, it's met with freezing cold temperatures that last almost half the year. For this very reason, you want to make sure that your irrigation system is winterized before the first freeze every year. The point of irrigation winterization is to remove all of the water from sprinkler heads, valves, and water lines to prevent the water from freezing and causing pipes to burst. There are a couple of different ways to achieve this but we've found the most efficient way to be the "blowout" method, in which we use an industrial-grade air compressor to remove water from the entire system.
We've winterized irrigation systems for over 30 years, so you can be sure that your landscape investment will be protected in the colder months. If you own a residential or commercial property in Calgary, Airdrie, Chestermere, or a nearby community in Alberta reach out to a team member about our winterization services today!
What happens during an irrigation winterization?
- The first thing our technicians will do during a winterization service is shut off the irrigation water supply which is the main valve that needs to be protected against freezing.
- Next, we'll bring in the industrial air compressor to blow out the waterline, pipes, sprinkler heads, and additional valves.
- Lastly, we'll shut down the controller by switching it to "rain mode", which disconnects the signal to the valves.
When should you have your system winterized?
November generally ushers in the winter season for Canadians but temperatures don't always drop to freezing during this time. Although you should definitely be thinking about having your system winterized during this time, the rule of thumb is to wait a week before the first hard freeze.
The height of winter usually occurs at the beginning or middle of December and that's when start to notice an extreme temperature drop. Scheduling ahead of time ensures that your spot is secured before the first freeze which is why we schedule this service in advance for our irrigation maintenance package members.
There are several components of your system that can be affected by freezing temperatures.
- The component of your sprinkler system that could suffer the most damage from freezing temperatures are the pipes. If water remains in them during the winter, it can expand and cause pipes to crack and burst in large sections.
- Sprinkler heads provide a direct supply of water to your grass and landscape.If water becomes trapped in them, the sides can crack and the heads can simply break and pop off.
- A regulator, called a manifold, lies within the heart of your irrigation system and is attached to the main pipe and several valves. If this component is affected by frigid temperatures, it could cause irreversible damage to your sprinkler system.
Keep your landscape investment protected from the cold with our irrigation winterization services.
Let our trained technicians take care of your irrigation system this winter so that it's in perfect condition in time for the growing season! We take the hassle and worry out of sprinkler winterization. If you own a residential or commercial property in Calgary, Airdrie, Chestermere, Okotoks, or a nearby area in Alberta, speak with a team member at (403) 250-8464 to enroll in our irrigation maintenance program today!